Saturday, August 06, 2005

Robin Cook

During the few years I have intensively covered the political happenings of this country nothing has had such a profound effect on me as Robin Cook’s resignation speech on the eve of the Iraq war. It was the first time I’d watched a House of Commons debate in full. The atmosphere was justifiably electric; not only because of the polarising nature of the debate, but also as we knew that in a few short hours bombs would be dropping on Baghdad. He spoke from the heart, with clarity and with morality on his side. He received a standing ovation. It may be over-zealous of me to view this as a seminal moment in my political life, but nothing politically has touched me quite like it since. I am truly sorry and upset that he has died.

view the speech here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

CounterData.com

Found Agency
Found Agency Counter